Classes and Workshops
Lori offers classes and workshops based upon her expertise of Electric Quilt Design Software. Lori is an Electric Quilt Superfan and she teaches confidence building classes geared for the beginner. Using EQ for her own quilt designs, she has a quilters perspective of the software. Lori has taught EQ8 at her local quilt shop, Electric Quilt Academy in Ohio and for Quilts, inc. in Houston. You can also find Lessons with Lori on the DoYouEQ.com blog and find free tutorials on the tab above. I am willing to customize classes for your needs. Note: The Beginner Classes can be taught as a 2 day workshop.
Please inquire for more information on scheduling Lori to teach at your shop, group, show or quild. Additional information is available at the bottom of the page.
EQ8 Beginner: Focus on Quilt Design
6 Hour class
Are you new to EQ8? Have you owned earlier versions but just didn’t use the software? Do you just need a good refresher? This class is perfect for beginner EQ8 users who want to build confidence and leave with a good understanding of the Electric Quilt tools.
This beginner class includes a tour of workspace and then we will start designing. We will cover the Quilt Worktable, design horizontal, on-point, and strip quilts, learn how to print fabric yardage, templates, rotary cutting directions and foundation patterns. We will use the block and fabric libraries and search for blocks and fabrics. You will develop a better understanding of the three worktables, the Project Sketchbook and how to navigate the workspace to design your own beautiful quilts.
EQ8 Beginner: Focus on Block Design and Images
Prerequisite: You must have completed the EQ8 Beginner Class: Focus on Quilt Design to enroll in this class or be comfortable designing quilts with the software.
6 Hour class
Once you have completed the first beginner class, you will be ready for the next beginner class to continue to build on your new skills. In this class, we will have a quick refresher and then dive into using the Block and Image Worktables. We will draw and edit quilt blocks and import a fabric scan and scale, crop and edit it to use in a quilt. We will explore applique and understand the EQ8 3 layers of the quilt. We take a deep dive into borders and auto borders. We will continue to design quilts and blocks throughout the class to reinforce what you are learning. By the end of the class, you will have the confidence to design your own beautiful blocks and quilts.
Are you new to EQ8? Have you owned earlier versions but just didn’t use the software? This class is your chance to try the software with a mini lesson. Explore the workspace, design a few quilts and get in introduction to all that EQ8 can do! You will get hands on experience learning the software.
EQ8 Skillbuilders: Designing Modern Quilts
In this skill builder class, we will explore how to use the tools provided in EQ8 to create stunning modern style quilts. We will discover alternate grid work, asymmetry, negative space, minimalism and reinterpreted traditional blocks. We will also explore Serendipity tools and draw and edit blocks. You will discover fun new ways to design creative, fresh and modern quilts. The perfect followup class for a graduate of any EQ8 beginner class.
ALL EQ8 CLASSES
The best way to learn is by doing. This is a HANDS ON class and students must bring their own laptop with a current version of EQ8.
EQ8 Teaching Requirements
- Large screen with projector that will hookup to teacher’s laptop for display so that students can follow along.
- Internet connectivity be available for all students.
- Access to electric power for students and teachers laptops and equipment.
- Check the class list to find the classes you are interested in or request a custom class.
- Please provide your name, organization and phone number, your proposed event date and location, and your requested lecture, class or workshop. email@example.com
- For Quilt Guild classes, Lori requests a total of 6 hours of classroom time for booking, you can mix and match 3 hour sessions as desired.
- Classes have a maximum of 18 students unless otherwise stated.
- Lori requests that a table be provided for her to sell additional patterns and supplies.
- Lori expects reasonable travel expenses to be reimbursed. This includes mileage if by car(based on current federal rate), airfare, transportation, hotel, ground transportation, meals and shipping if applicable.
- Lori also has classes based upon her original quilt designs, please inquire.
- A signed contract will reserve your event date.