A few weeks ago I was spending a quiet weekend by myself at our “Up North” Michigan cottage. It is so peaceful there and we are fortunate to live on a small inland lake. I went into town for a few things and had to stop at the little local Goodwill store, you never know what bargains you will find. I discovered a glass bread dish (perfect for some banana bread) and 3 well used folding chairs. I looked at those chairs for a bit, I did need some extra seating in the cottage and they really had good bones. The price sold me and I hauled my treasures out to my car. I stopped at the local hardware store and picked up two cans of discontinued spray paint in a lovely stone grey for $3. Here is my adventure with those chairs.
My official before picture of one of the folding chairs. Each chair had a cushioned back and a padded seat, a bonus.
A price of only $5.99 each didn’t hurt either.
When I got it home, I removed the back and cushion. You can see it was definitely worn and rusted a bit.
I took a 150 grit sandpaper and sanded down the whole chair. I wanted the spray paint to really stick well.
Then I wiped it down with a damp cloth to remove all of the loose debris.
Next I began to spray paint the whole chair with my bargain spray paint. I made sure to just shake it up extra good and I did not have any problems. I painted in short light strokes so the paint would not drip. I have decided spray paint is amazing. After it dried, I flipped it over and painted any spots I missed. It really dried pretty fast. You can easily do this in a few hours.
While my chairs dried, I started to make my quilty coverings. I really liked the idea of a sail boat motif for the cottage, so that is what I started with. I used my stash of low volume grey prints as a neutral palette around the boat. These are all one inch finished squares.
I used some batting and a backing of muslin and I quilted the design. Then I covered the back cushion with it and screwed it back onto the chair. The greys blended perfectly with the stone color spray paint.
For the seat, I took all of my teal and dark blue scraps and cut out 1 1/2 inch squares and randomly sewed them together. Now, this part did take quite a while. I liked the look of the small blocks, but you could use larger squares and it would go a lot faster. If you look closely, you will see another little sailboat motif echoed on the seat. I quilted this seat cover with batting and a backing of muslin too. I just used straight line quilting with a walking foot, nothing fancy. I chose a darker set of colors for the seat since it would get a lot of use.
For the seat, I had to staple it onto the seat with very short staples. I pulled it as evenly as I could and worked carefully around the seat.
The corners were a little tricky, I just tried to position staples where I only had to go through one layer of fabric.
Here is my finished upcycled chair, it turned out so cute. I plan on spraying it with ScotchGuard to make it easy to clean. These chairs look brand new!