A good friend is having a baby boy and her baby shower is next week. I wanted to stitch up something useful and I decided to make these super cute little sweet baby burp cloths. They are soft and absorbent using soft flannel and diaper cloth. I remember these were really handy when my son was born and you always needed a bunch of them. I was so glad you could just throw them in the wash to be ready for another day. This shape is what I remembered having long ago. It is a very quick project. Read on for my tutorial and a free pattern.
This will make four burp cloths.
- 1/2 yd of baby print flannel
- 1 yd of diaper cloth
- Using my free Sweet Baby Burp Cloth Pattern, Cut out 4 flannel panels and 8 diaper cloth panels.
- Layer the flannel right side up, and the diaper cloth, right side down. Use two layers of diaper cloth.
- Using a 3/4″ seam, to catch all the layers, and leaving an opening for turning, stitch around the entire burp cloth.
- Clip the curves.
- Turn it right side out.
- Iron the burp cloth flat making sure to fold in the edges of the opening.
- Topstitch closely to the outer edge of the burp cloth, being sure to stitch the opening closed.
- Topstitch again 1/4″ away from the edge stitching.
- Finished! A very cute and quick little gift. Now to just sew a few more. They really stitch up in a jiffy.
For a printer friendly version, download the free pattern from my Craftsy Shop!
Do you have a “go to” handmade gift for new babies that you like to make? Let me know.