I am so pleased to announce that my work has been published in a new magazine, Quick to Stitch Precuts 2015. This magazine is from the folks that produce the fun and modern Fresh Quilts Magazine. I had worked with the editors, Deb Gore Orhn and Riane Menardi, on a small startup crafting website a few years ago. When I had the opportunity to submit a few ideas for their new Precuts concept magazine, I jumped at the chance. Fortunately, they accepted two of my projects, my Summer Harvest Quilt and some cute Pinwheel Pincushions. I documented my adventure and thought you might like to see how I put together the projects. I am first going to share the making of my quilt.
Yes, I was kind of delighted to be on the cover.
For the first project, I decided to use 10 inch squares which are also called a layer cake. I had just gotten myself Electric Quilt 7 software and I was working my way through learning how to use it. Here is what the initial design concept looked like. I was very new to the software, so I did not know how to add the thin sashing that I eventually added between the rows of leaves.
I knew I wanted a bold, modern print and I had seen some fabric designed by Malka Dubrawski called Outside in. So I grabbed a layer cake package of it to work with. I started out by string piecing the corners in an natural linen.
Since the corners were pretty big. I did double stitching so I would have some instant left over half square triangles.
I started laying out the pieces in rows. At first, I mixed all the colors and squares up but the chaos was too much for me. Then I started to arrange in groups of color and prints and it came to life. i have a design floor instead of a design wall. A design wall is on my to do list.
Here I have it all pieced and sewn together. There were two squares in the bundle that were about the same color as the linen I had used for the squares. So I just flipped that leaf pair and used some poppy red corners for it. See it on the right hand side? It kind of added a little spontaneity in the quilt.
Here I am trying to pin the quilt on the floor. It is too hard to move that rug, so I just vacuum really well and then I use painters tape and tape the quilt back right to the carpet. There is a lot of smoothing and adjusting and then I pin from the center out.
This quilt is a large throw size, so I decided to quilt it myself. I got out my trusty BSR Bernina foot and I marked a few of the leaves but after two or three, I just went for it free hand. On the corners, I just zig zagged bag and forth. All of the leaves had the same quilt design except for the solid fabrics. In each of those, I varied the design for interest.
The middle sashing just got meandering rows of sort of straight lines. The effect was still very nice. I think I am going to do that on a whole quilt next time.
Here is the full finished quilt. You can see I used the poppy red print for the binding with a little bit of an extra print here and there.
What did I do with all of those extra half square triangles? I used them and the leftover linen and fabrics to create a fun back for the quilt. You can really see the quilting of the leaves on the linen.
You can get the pattern to create my quilt by picking up a copy of Quilt to Stitch Precuts! I found it in JoAnn Fabrics, Meijer and Kroger.
I will save the Pinwheel Pincushions for next time. Happy Stitching!
5 thoughts on “Published – Summer Harvest Quilt”
Congratulations on your cover girl quilt! I picked up this magazine last week and showed it to my mini group and I think every single one of them went and bought a copy. Your quilt is the one that I HAVE to make first from this magazine. I tracked down a layer cake of that collection and when it arrives I’ll find some backgroung fabric. It is going to look gorgeous in my living room. You have a great eye for design… happy stitching!
Carol, Thank you so much! Malka has some great new graphic prints out too that would also look wonderful I think. You will have to send me a picture when you get it finished or tag me on instagram!
I wanted to let you know that I saw the cover of the magazine and bought it for that reason. Congrats on getting published and on the cover. Great blog post too. I like your writing and quilting style.
Pingback: Published – Pinwheel Pincushions | Lori Miller Designs
Hello, thank you for sharing your design process. I have got the magazine too. Note: It seems that the publishers got the background colour wrong in all their diagrams (pages 97 and 98) for this quilt; you used a single background colour whereas they used tons of differents colours (more of a transparency effect)! Never mind. Love your quilt!