For this month’s free tutorial project, we are going mini. A super cute and super sweet little quilt, this Dolce Doll Quilt was designed with EQ Mini Software by The Electric Quilt Company . It uses a Vertical strip layout with an inserted pieced two by two block add a little pizzazz. Stitched with bright aqua, fuscia and light pink solids, the quilting takes center stage to make this delightful quilt. Even a simple design like this can be a showstopper and a sweet gift for a little one’s baby doll.
EQ Mini is the new scaled down, simpler version of EQ7 quilt design software. This program was created for quilters who are just getting started using software for quilt design. EQ Mini will help you create, edit, share, and print patterns and yardage for your quilt designs.
When I designed this little quilt, I used a vertical strip layout, but to be able to add the pieced row of blocks, I had to add a pieced strip. But when I did the assembly, I did not want to cut out all those blocks, so I just did the math and cut strips.
Dolce Doll Quilt
Finished size is 18″ x 24″.
- 1 5/8 yd Aqua
- 1 3/8 yd Pink
- 2 7/8 yd Fuscia
- 5/8 yard fabric for backing
- 20″ x 26″ piece of batting
From each fabric, cut:
- 2 — 3 1/2″ x 15 1/2″ strips
- 2 — 3 1/2″ x 6 1/2″ strips
- 16 – 1 1/4″ x 2″ rectangles
From aqua fabric
- 3 — 2″ x WOF strips for binding
- Stitch 8 pairs of each color of the 1 1/2 x 2″ rectangles
- Arrange the pairs to make two – 2×2 blocks using the color scheme above.
- Sew the short 3 1/2″ strip of the remaining color to the top of each block.
- Sew the long 3 1/2″ strip of the remaining color to the bottom of each block.
- Sew the rows of blocks together.
- Make a quilt sandwich with the backing face down, then the batting, then your quilt top face up.
- Pin baste the quilt layers together.
- Quilt as desired. I did an allover circle design on the top half, a flower design in each pieced block and feathers for the lower strips.
- Sew the 2″ binding strips together and add to the quilt.
- Finish the binding and you are done!
This would be a simple quilt to use three coordinating prints or other solid colors. It really sews up together fast and would make great holiday gifts. I would love to see your Dolce Doll quilt, tag me on instagram @lorimillerdesigns.
Looking for the EQ Mini Design Instructions? You can find them HERE
For more projects and tips and techniques on using EQ Mini, visit my Electric Quilt blog series EQ Mini Friday Fun.
For more information on EQ Mini software, go to EQ Mini.