Here is another free tutorial for a project designed with EQ Mini Software by The Electric Quilt Company. This Holiday Table Runner uses one of the built in blocks colored with traditional Christmas colors to create a lovely item for your home decor.
EQ Mini is the new scaled down, simpler version of EQ7 quilt design software. This program was created for quilters who are just getting started using software for quilt design. EQ Mini will help you create, edit, share, and print patterns and yardage for your quilt designs.
Holiday Table Runner
Finished size is 12 1/2″ x 36 1/2″.
- 3/8 yd white cotton
- 1/8 yd green cotton
- 5/8 yd red cotton for blocks and binding
- 1/4 yd burgundy cotton
- 1/2 yard for backing
- 1/4 yard batting
- 24 — 2 7/8 ” squares
- 3 — 7 1/2 ” squares
- 12 — 2 7/8 ″ squares
- 15 — 2 7/8 ″ squares
- 3 — 2 1/2″ x Width of Fabric strips
- 3 — 7 1/2 ” squares
- 1 — 14 1/2 x 38 1/2″ strip
Create the half square triangles
- This method will create 8 half square triangles at once.
- On the wrong side of the white 7 1/2″ square, mark the sewing and cutting lines. Mark from corner to corner and mark half and half as shown.
- Stitch 1/4″ away from the diagonal line, on each side of the diagonal line. You can see the stitching in the X shape in the diagram above.
- Cut the half square triangles apart on the marked lines.
- Press the seams open and then square up the half square triangle blocks to measure 2 7/8″ square.
Sew the block:
Hint: Because you need to match seams, be sure to keep an accurate 1/4″ seam allowance and make sure blocks are square as you sew them to keep things in alignment.
- Using the diagram above as a guide, arrange the pieces for your quilt block.
- Sew the pieces together in rows, then sew the rows together, aligning seams.
- Make three quilt blocks.
- Sew the three blocks together in a row, aligning seams to finish piecing the top of the holiday table runner.
- Make a quilt sandwich with the backing face down, then the batting, then your quilt top face up.
- Pin baste the quilt layers together.
- Quilt as desired.
- Sew the 2 1/2″ binding strips together and add to the quilt.
- Try some custom quilting like I did on this table runner, the smaller size makes it easy to explore free motion quilting.
- Try using holiday prints or even modern colors or even a blue color scheme to really change the look but still use the same block.
This Holiday Table Runner would look great on your table or make several to give as gifts this season. Why not look through the provided blocks in EQ Mini and find a favorite that you can turn into a table runner? There are so many possibilities. I would love to see pictures of your Holiday table runners. Just tag me on instagram @lormillerdesigns.
Looking for the EQ Mini Design Instructions? You can find them here: EQ Mini Friday Fun Holiday Table Runner.
For more projects and tips and techniques on using EQ Mini, visit my Electric Quilt blog series EQ Mini Friday Fun.
For more information on EQ Mini software, go to EQ Mini.