The Summer is flying by and it is time for another Grandma Town Block of the Month. This month is a bonus double block called barnyard featuring a barn and grain silo. Even though this quilt is called Grandma Town, I would be remiss if I did not include some memories of my Grandpa. He was a short, tough guy who wore OshKosh Overalls and used a red bandanna as a hankerchief. I would get to help with the chores and followed Grandpa around as we fed the animals and took care of the farm.
My brother and sisters and I often played in the barn. I would also help Grandpa milk the cows on a little wooden 3 legged stool. We even threw the hay bales down from the loft down to the wagon.
Are you sewing along? If you are, post it on Instagram and tag me @lorimillerdesigns and #GrandmaTownBOM so I can see what lovely things you are stitching up.
The directions for the Barnyard are available FOR SALE in my Craftsy shop HERE!
Grandma Town Block of the Month
If you are new to the Grandma Town BOM, this row by row quilt was a labor of love to celebrate my Iowa roots. I spent my childhood visiting my Grandparents on their farm just west of Des Moines in Earlham, Iowa. It is especially a tribute to my dear Grandma.
When my sisters, brother and I were little and my parents would drive us to my grandparents farm, my brother would yell, “We are going to Grandma Town!”. It was a loving tribute that stuck. This little quilt is full of those reminders of the farm and of Grandma, who loved to garden and loved to cook. Each block is a sweet memory of my youth growing up on that country farm.
I hope you will find some shared love for your family, a cherished farm or your own grandma in my quilt. You can make all of these sweet blocks or pick and choose the blocks you like the most to make something special for yourself or a dear loved one.
Here is how the Block of the Month works:
- At the beginning of each month, I will release one of the block patterns in this row by row style quilt.
- You can download that pattern all month for free and then it will be added to my pattern shop for sale.
- All you need to do is come back to my blog each month to see what the new pattern is for that month, and simply download the pattern for free from my pattern store before the end of the month.
- Once the month is over, that month’s block pattern will no longer be free.
- If you miss a month or need to catch up, I will have them available for sale at my pattern shop, but if you visit regularly, you can get them ALL for free.
Don’t miss a block, sign up to follow my Blog Via Email using the entry on the sidebar or you can find me on Bloglovin. Either way, you will get the information on when the next block is available so you can get it while it is FREE.
Released Blocks – 2015