Are you sewing along? Grandma Town Block of the Month continues with this cute little chicken and egg. On the farm, Grandma raised chickens for the eggs and for Sunday dinner. There was a large hen house behind the house. I never helped gather eggs, maybe grandma thought I would break them. We did get to throw the food scraps and potato peelings over the fence for them and sometimes some cracked corn. There were all kinds of chickens including little banny hens that ran around everywhere. The Chicken blocks finish at 8” x 7”. The Egg blocks finish at 3” x 7”. You will need 6 chicken block and 5 egg blocks for the row of the quilt.
Grandma’s favorite chicken was a big red hen she named Molly. Molly laid large colored eggs, they were sort of grayish green color. Grandma also made delicious fried chicken, but the best was a scalloped chicken that she made which was kind of like chicken and stuffing. It was crispy on the top and tasty all the way through.
Are you sewing along? If you are, post it on Instagram and tag me @lorimillerdesigns and #GrandmaTownBOM so I can see what lovely things you are stitching up. The directions for the Chicken and Egg block are available FOR SALE in my Craftsy shop HERE.
Grandma Town Block of the Month
If you are new to the Grandma Town BOM, this row by row quilt was a labor of love to celebrate my Iowa roots. I spent my childhood visiting my Grandparents on their farm just west of Des Moines in Earlham, Iowa. It is especially a tribute to my dear Grandma.
When my sisters, brother and I were little and my parents would drive us to my grandparents farm, my brother would yell, “We are going to Grandma Town!”. It was a loving tribute that stuck. This little quilt is full of those reminders of the farm and of Grandma, who loved to garden and loved to cook. Each block is a sweet memory of my youth growing up on that country farm.
I hope you will find some shared love for your family, a cherished farm or your own grandma in my quilt. You can make all of these sweet blocks or pick and choose the blocks you like the most to make something special for yourself or a dear loved one.
Here is how the Block of the Month works:
- At the beginning of each month, I will release one of the block patterns in this row by row style quilt.
- You can download that pattern all month for free and then it will be added to my pattern shop for sale.
- All you need to do is come back to my blog each month to see what the new pattern is for that month, and simply download the pattern for free from my pattern store before the end of the month.
- Once the month is over, that month’s block pattern will no longer be free.
- If you miss a month or need to catch up, I will have them available for sale at my pattern shop, but if you visit regularly, you can get them ALL for free.
Don’t miss a block, sign up to follow my Blog Via Email using the entry on the sidebar or you can find me on Bloglovin. Either way, you will get the information on when the next block is available so you can get it while it is FREE.
Released Blocks – 2015