Pie is a glorious thing. I choose it over cake or even chocolate. My Grandma was a master pie maker and she taught me the secret art of a light and flaky crust. This month’s Grandma Town Block of the Month is a PIE, of course. My favorite pie is Gooseberry. It is the green, tart cousin of the red currant. It is simply heaven.
Grandma always made two pies at a time and I have the recipe memorized. She taught me how to spin that rolling pin on a giant wooden board that pulled out of an old spice cabinet hutch. Her pies were the highlight of any meal, made with real lard and served with vanilla ice cream. I think of her every time I pick gooseberries and make a tasty, sour lip smacking pie. You can make any kind of pie you like, I made blueberry and cherry. Are you sewing along? If you are, post it on Instagram and tag me @lorimillerdesigns and #GrandmaTownBOM so I can see what lovely things you are stitching up. The directions for the Pie Block are available FOR SALE in my Craftsy shop HERE.
Grandma Town Block of the Month
If you are new to the Grandma Town BOM, this row by row quilt was a labor of love to celebrate my Iowa roots. I spent my childhood visiting my Grandparents on their farm just west of Des Moines in Earlham, Iowa. It is especially a tribute to my dear Grandma.
When my sisters, brother and I were little and my parents would drive us to my grandparents farm, my brother would yell, “We are going to Grandma Town!”. It was a loving tribute that stuck. This little quilt is full of those reminders of the farm and of Grandma, who loved to garden and loved to cook. Each block is a sweet memory of my youth growing up on that country farm.
I hope you will find some shared love for your family, a cherished farm or your own grandma in my quilt. You can make all of these sweet blocks or pick and choose the blocks you like the most to make something special for yourself or a dear loved one.
Here is how the Block of the Month works:
- At the beginning of each month, I will release one of the block patterns in this row by row style quilt.
- You can download that pattern all month for free and then it will be added to my pattern shop for sale.
- All you need to do is come back to my blog each month to see what the new pattern is for that month, and simply download the pattern for free from my pattern store before the end of the month.
- Once the month is over, that month’s block pattern will no longer be free.
- If you miss a month or need to catch up, I will have them available for sale at my pattern shop, but if you visit regularly, you can get them ALL for free.
Don’t miss a block, sign up to follow my Blog Via Email using the entry on the sidebar or you can find me on Bloglovin. Either way, you will get the information on when the next block is available so you can get it while it is FREE.
Released Blocks – 2015